Monday, December 6, 2010

Social Media

I've been reading everything I can to learn how to sell successfully on the internet. Most of the stuff I've read agrees you need to use social media, although I've read some that say it's a waste of time. I set up accounts on Twitter, Flickr, Etsy, Facebook, Deviantart, Handmadespark and I started a blog, oh and I just added Linkedin. That's a lot and it's hard to keep track of. I set up Google Analytics on some of my sites, it's a cool, free program that tracks how many visits you get, what websites are referring, key search words, and probably some other stuff I haven't figured out yet. I set up all my accounts and waited and nothing happened, no sales, no followers, nothing. So I did more research and thought about it and realized, maybe, since it's called social media you actually need to be social. All my friends who know me in real life will know that is difficult for me, I've very shy and not very social, but I decided to give it a try. I joined some teams on Etsy, which turned out to be one of the best things I've done. The rest of this week I will explain why and give shout outs to my awesome teams and team members. The last week I've been very active on my social network and I saw some big results in my tracking. The views on my pages went way up. My sales haven't but I believe that takes time and the more people that are looking eventually I will get some customers. Just like in a brick and mortar store you need to have people coming by and looking before you can get sales. The last two days I took a break and sure enough all my views and my traffic dropped dramatically. All this has lead me to the conclusion that social media does work. It definitely drives people to your sites. Now that I know this I'm going to set up a daily schedule of how long to spend working on my network, jewelry making, etc. It has also helped me to see which sites are the most effective so I can whittle down my list of the ones I spend time on and hopefully spend my time online more productively. I know if I keep at it I will eventually start getting more sales.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent post! You must be very active with social media and track your results. Baby steps! SEO builds over time and being active and doing your research is step one! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog about social media! I too am rather shy and know that I could be more social in promoting my site. You have some great tips here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your kind comments. It's been a pleasant surprise finding all the friendly, helpful people out in the world since starting this blog.

    ReplyDelete