Sunday, September 11, 2011

A New Life

View from my house

I've been gone awhile now, longer than expected. As I stated in an earlier post I decided to pack up and move to Oregon. It's been an interesting two months, most of which has been spent with limited computer access. It didn't go quite as I planned. I couldn't find a job and ran out of money due to having to live in cheap motels. One place was so bad that someone actually was shot and killed a few feet from my door.

So a couple of weeks ago I decided I should sell my car and just get something old and cheap so I could come up with enough money to put down on a house to rent. I then realized I couldn't find the title to my car. The day before I was completely out of money it finally came in the mail. I found someone who was interested in buying my car and who had an old, beater car they would sell me in return. Unfortunately they would not have the cash until the next day. At that point it was looking like I was going to have to sleep in my car for the night. The people who were buying my car said they would give me a $500 deposit on my car so I could have a place to sleep for the night. They were just some of several very kind people I have met in my travels.

After that I found a place to rent on Craigslist on the coast of Oregon. Portland is a lovely city but I have found living in the city to be stressful, plus I have always wanted to live by the beach but thought it would be out of reach financially. I drove three hours to go look at it and loved it and am astounded at the views. It is truly lovely. I hit it off with the owner and got his approval to rent it today. I am so thrilled. It is actually what I've always wanted to do. On top of that my jewelry business is really starting to take off. There are lots of cool shops where I'll be living and I am hoping to get my jewelry into some of them. My hopes are to remain self-employed now that I will have a place to live and get back to work on my business and jewelry making.

I took a huge risk leaving what I knew, with little money and no connections to go start fresh. It got pretty scary for awhile but in the end I got the life I have always wanted. I couldn't be happier. Doing that might not be for everyone, but I find it terribly sad to think I might have stayed stuck in a life I was so unhappy in because I was too afraid to take a chance. I think sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith and believe in yourself in order to get the life you want.

My new beach house

3 comments:

  1. What a courageous move! I totally agree with your choice. Living my the sea is perfect for me. I love it every day. I pray your jewelry sales provide the income you need, and even if you have some sort of part time work there, your mind and soul will be filled with such peace!! Loved the pictures of the new digs too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm pretty sure I'll have to get a part time job, but that's ok. I am so happy right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lori! i,m so glad for you. A very bold move and decision.Life is way to short to be going what if? My parents are in their 50's and moved to Vancouver Canada from the UK 3years ago now.My mum got a job there in nursing (she was a nurse in the uk for over 25 years),my dad had to start again with his self employment but they don't regret it for a secound.Lakes everywhere and Eagles and no-thats-not a stripy cat-it's a skunk run! I hope you liked how I did the feature on you on my blog ( i didn't see a comment) if you haven't looked yet go to www.thehouseofspiritflower.blogspot.com Speak soon, and I look forward to hearing more of your new adventures.

    ReplyDelete