Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Life is a Roller Coaster


I've been on Etsy for about a year and a half now. I enjoy reading the forums and sometimes even enjoy arguing with people on them. Etsy has made some big changes lately and with them there have been lots of people on the forums moaning and bitching because things should never change evidently.

This got me to thinking and reminded me of a job a got right out of college. The job itself isn't important but they had a welcome aboard meeting when I first started. One of the speakers likened the job to a roller coaster. Where there will be lots of ups and downs and you could choose to hang on scared to death wishing it would end or you could throw your hands up in the air and enjoy the ride

That has always stuck with me. I think it holds true with life as well as business and all the changes that come with both. When there is a change or setback you can sit around and moan about it or you can figure out a way to make it work for you. Which would you rather spend your energy on?

Here's an example. Etsy just rolled out a new wedding section. Now a lot of the wedding sellers are crying because it killed their business. I've been steadily growing my business for the last year. I've already made more this year than I did all of 2011. I want to do more though so I'm always trying to think of new ways to do that. I'm not normally a wedding seller but I have some items I think would work well as bridesmaids gifts. So I made a couple of listings and put them in weddings and guess what? I'm getting a lot of views from it, no sales, but I am optimistic. I made the new wedding section work for me.

So next time you're faced with a big change or a big set back take a second to be upset about it, then sit down and figure out how you can make it work for you. You never know, it might turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment