Friday, March 25, 2011

Selling Your Awesome Items in the Virtual World






I've been attempting to sell my awesome stuff for a few months now. Haven't had much success but I'm still learning. I've really worked hard at increasing my online presence over the last month, and guess what? Looking at my Google Analytics for my shop I see a big increase in traffic to it. It works! Have I had more sales? No. Do I get bummed and hurt feelings sometimes? You bet.

The way I look at it is like this; my virtual shop is the same as a brick and mortar store. If you put your shop in some back alley with no foot traffic and no advertising, no one will ever find you, and your cool little shop will die a slow death. If you put it were you get some foot traffic and do some advertising and marketing more people will come in your store. Not everyone will buy something but the more people you get coming in the more likely you will find someone who wants your awesome stuff. Same goes for your online store. You've got to get people coming to it. The majority of people probably won't buy something but someone will come along that does. Then someone else and someone else, maybe some people who didn't buy at first will remember you and come back later. Eventually you have a following of loyal customers and they will help spread the word about you.

The bottom line is this: you have to work at getting people to your shop, you need to treat it just like you would a brick and mortar store. You need to build a solid foundation and have patience and, I believe, the sales will come. Look at it like the Three Little Pigs, if you rush through it and just use sticks and twigs it will fall apart, if you take the time to build a beautiful, solid, well built brick house it will last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment