Thursday, May 26, 2011

Another "How I Made This" Post


The last post I made about how a made a necklace was pretty popular so I'm going to do another one. I made another unique necklace with a new medium I've been experimenting with. I love the look of the polymer / fimo clay items I see out and about so I've been experimenting with it a lot.

My first attempts were not too exciting. It takes some learning and practice to get it right. You have to get the clay so it is pliable, shape it into something and then cook it. It's definitely a process and is not something you do quickly. It's probably in your best interest to plan on sitting down and working on it for at least several hours and have more than one project in mind. Planning out what you make ahead of time is helpful also.

Early attempts
Above are some early attempts. Not very exciting, plus a couple of them got burned, have to watch those cooking times. I finally made some things yesterday I'm pretty happy with. One of them was a red flower that I embellished with watch gears, it's small and I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. I was working on packing later on and I remembered an old silver plated rouge holder I had and I wondered if the flower would fit in it. It did! I glued in a nut and attached the flower to give it depth. I thought it still needed something and I found a broken charm I had and added the pieces from that. I was going to pour in resin to finish it off but I like it the way it is so I decided not to. I then put it on a silver chain and there you have it. The finished product.


No comments:

Post a Comment